Communication with authorities and other organisations
Project goal purpose
- To establish and maintain proper communication channels to allow effective transfer of information between the DSA, respective government departments and industry related organisations.
- To maintain and strengthen relationships, public private partnerships and memorandums of understanding to assist with achievement of the primary objectives of the DSA.
- To file official complaints regarding offenders¹ with the respective government departments based on information obtained from Project goals 1, 2 and 5.
- To interact and engage with the relevant official/s from the respective government departments to assist in problem solving.
- To interact and disseminate information to the organised dairy industry regarding industry related matters.
In terms of its project planning and execution, it is necessary for the DSA to liaise and communicate with the various government departments as well as other organisations as stakeholders of the dairy industry.
These amongst others include:
- Assistance to the relevant regulatory bodies with the identification of offenders of the legal standards in respect of milk and other dairy products.
- DSA facilitation of remedial action plans which is to be executed by the respective regulatory authorities to limit the supply of substandard milk and other dairy products to the market.
- Interact with the respective authorities on a continual basis as to establish ongoing remedial action plans.
- Filing of complaints is done as a result of quarterly reports, complaints and or special investigations. Facilitation is subsequently followed-up by means of requested feedback (formal) from the various government institutions and scheduled meetings.
- Interact with industry related organisations such as Milk SA, SAMPRO, MPO, Consumer Goods Council of South Africa (CGSA:FSI), South African National Consumer Union (SANCU) and other organisations regarding dairy related issues, in terms of the DSA objectives.
Liaison and communication with the following government departments are conducted on a regular basis as to ensure continuity, with specific reference to food safety and quality related matters that require a proactive approach and or statutory intervention.
- Department of Health
- Department of Agriculture, Forestry and Fisheries
- NRCS (National Regulator for Compulsory Specifications): Legal Metrology
- NCC (National Consumer Commissioner)
- SABS (South African Bureau of Standards)
Communication with other organisations
- CGCSA (Consumer Goods Council of South Africa): Food Safety Initiative
- Milk SA
- MPO (Milk Producers Organisation)
- SAATCA (South African Auditor & Training Certification Association)
- SAIEH (South African Institute for Environmental Health)
- SAMPRO (South African Milk Processors' Organisation)
- SANCU (South African National Consumer Union)
- SASDT (South African Society for Dairy Technology)