Strategic Approach - Prioritising of Project Goals
To successfully continue in 2018, activities within project goals of the DSA are prioritised on a first and second level basis. This prioritisation process coincides with the DSA Audit and Risk Committee role in terms of risk analysis which is reviewed on an annual basis. Although this document mainly reflects on statutory activities, DSA non-statutory activities are included in the level of priorities in view of the company’s balanced approach to achieve its main objectives.
First level priorities:
- elaboration of the DSA as an organisation with integrity, which includes the continuous development and maintenance of an appropriate and efficient management and administrative system;
- maintenance and elaboration of functional work relationships with the various institutions responsible for enforcement of legal and voluntary standards. This is of great importance considering the multi-dimensional nature of the tasks that need to be executed by the DSA;
- maintenance and elaboration of functional work relationships with other organisations and stakeholders in the dairy industry;
- monitoring of milk and other dairy products in collaboration with Health Authorities. Other dairy products include UHT milk, condensed and evaporated milk, cream, cheese, butter and fermented products namely cultured milk and yoghurt types;
- personal contact with processors whose monitoring results indicate non-compliance with legal standards;
- support to officials of the various government departments involved to ensure better utilisation of the DSA monitoring program for remedial action purposes;
- monitoring of milk and other dairy products on behalf of the retail industry;
- monitoring activities as a result of complaints and by means of investigations (as initiated by DSA) in terms of compositional, metrology and food safety standards of the following products:
- UHT milk including flavoured milk;
- condensed and evaporated milk;
- fermented products namely cultured milk and yoghurt types.
- facilitation of co-ordination and co-operation between the various government institutions namely the National, Provincial and Municipal Health Authorities, Department of Agriculture, Forestry and Fisheries, National Regulator for Product Specifications and the South African Revenue Services;
- identification of potential new product composition and food safety risks and appropriate actions to ensure legal compliance;
- institutional involvement in projects of Milk SA including project management of the Milk SA Advisory Committee: Regulations and Standards.
- institutional involvement and responsibilities towards organisations other than Milk SA, namely SAMPRO, MPO, SASDT and SANCU.
- transformation in the dairy industry especially by rendering assistance to developing dairy farmers in terms of compliance with legal standards (facilities, hygiene, food safety and product composition) by means facility assessments and food safety audits.
Second level priorities:
The following activities are priorities, but not at the cost of the first level of priorities:
- development and promotion of the use of DSA guideline documentation, specifically by the primary and secondary industry;
- conducting food safety management systems audits at primary and secondary dairy facilities on request;
- presenting of workshops based on DSA guideline documentation;
- accreditation of DSA as a service provider with the Department of Agriculture, Forestry and Fisheries for the purpose of auditing primary and secondary dairy facilities for export approval.
Continuation of the current strategic approach is considered to be in the best interest of the DSA and subsequent further development within the context of existing project goals, using the experience gained, is provided for in the below DSA 2018 draft statutory project plan.