Mastitis is an endemic disease and considered to be one of the most frequent and costly diseases in the dairy industry. Mastitis might be a food safety problem and clearly, mastitis is an economic problem. It might also be a welfare problem.
In this presentation, the following will be shared:
- An overview of the South African dairy industry and the trends concerning udder health
- The basics of udder health including the role of the host (cow), the environment and pathogens
- The important difference between clinical and sub-clinical mastitis and the economic losses in both
- There will also be a reference to the effect of mastitis milk when it comes to product quality and food safety.
The focus will be on residues in milk and our role to prevent that
- The basics of a well-structured and strategic udder health program